The Fantastic Mr. Feedbag

A website celebrating and enumerating Juneau, Alaska's food culture

Soylent Green Hot Sauce

with 9 comments

Soylent Green

I’ve added green hot sauce to my continuing love affair with spicy goodness. Good old Foodland had a sale a week or so ago on jalapeño, pasilla, and seranno peppers. At a whopping 98 cents a pound they were too good to pass up. I bought 3 1/2 pounds of a mixed bag of all three of these magical peppers, favoring the jalapeño over the other two varieties.

I decided that I wanted to try to give Aardvark hot sauce a run for its money. I liked the idea of integrating some carrots, onion, and Dijon mustard into the mixture. Aardvark hot sauce has been one of those “put a bird on it” joys reserved for our visits to Portland. Matt loves the sauce so much that for Christmas last year I ordered him a case from Food Fight! Vegan Grocery in Portland.

I don’t want to sound cocky, but I think this hot sauce is even better than Aardvark’s secret delicious blend of cool. It’s a lot cheaper too.

Ingredients:
- 2 Tbsp. turmeric
- 3 cups of shredded carrots
- 1 onion finely diced
- 2 cans of drained diced tomatoes

Instructions:
- Wash & dry your peppers

- Cut the stems off the peppers, and reserve peppers

- Shred your carrots, prep your onion & garlic

- In a dry medium-sized skillet on low heat add your turmeric and paprika toasting for a minute or two

- Add 1 Tbsp. of olive oil & sauté your garlic, onions, and carrots with fresh ground pepper for 3 – 5 minutes, stirring often, adding honey about a minute before fully cooked

- Allow sautéed ingredients to cool for a bit while adding washed and de-stemmed peppers to a food processor in batches with salt.

- Divide processed peppers and salt in 2 gallon glass jars (large pickle jars or olive jars work wonders)

- Add sauté mixture with 2 cans of drained tomatoes to food processor, when processed divide the mixture between the 2 jars

- Add 3 Tbsps. of Dijon mustard to each jar and stir well with a spatula

- Add your vinegar (3 1/2 cups to each glass jar) and stir mixtures well

- Cover your jars with plastic wrap and a rubber band, allowing mixture to develop in a dark cool place for 5 to 7 days

- I didn’t strain my mixture, but instead allowed seeds, pulp, and all to become a delicious hot sauce with an almost salsa-ish texture. My friend Renai told me her boyfriend does something similar with his hot sauce, calling it a “relish”.

- Canning your hot sauce in a hot water bath is a great way to store it or you might want to transfer it to glass bottles for immediate use. If you decide not to can the sauce, going with the glass bottle route, make sure you refrigerate your hot sauce if not using within a few days.

Yield:

Green Sauce Haul

That’s right 12 jars and 5 bottles of the good stuff. Plenty to share with friends of Feedbag!

Serving Suggestion:

If you make home fries add this green goodness on top for a hot zing in the morning. Also great on rice dishes, chips, pizza, or as a marinade.

Share Share

About these ads

9 Responses

1. Your hot sauce recipes blow my mind!

Becca

February 28, 2011 at 12:14 pm

• You’re the best Becca! Thank you, xo.

Patrice Helmar

March 1, 2011 at 12:36 pm

2. This is the most delicious hot sauce in the history of the world. Question: how do you know that this (or any other) recipe is safe for canning?

jess s

March 17, 2011 at 12:18 pm

• With the soylent green I look at some websites online about canning hot sauce to determine if it was safe to can in a hot water bath. There were a couple of recipes out there for canning – also checked out a library book of different canning recipes where a few hot sauce and salsa recipes were featured.

I think the key with hot water bath canning, or what I think of is: does it have meat in it? If so, then I think a pressure cooker is necessary.

What do you think? I’m totally interested to know if you think it’s okay . . .

Patrice Helmar

March 17, 2011 at 1:35 pm

• Another thing I’m not sure of is if it’s okay to water can something that has been pre-cooked? Trying to think it we used a pressure cooker when we canned marinara at a friend’s house. Now I’m kind of worried!

Patrice Helmar

March 17, 2011 at 1:36 pm

• I love how it takes me five months to circle back to this… That is pretty adorable, isn’t it? Anyway, from my understanding of canning, the biggest issues with water bath canning are acidity of the food (which, I think this is fine b/c that’s a lot of vinegar) and the density of the food; the density is part of the reason why meat, beans, corn, etc have to be pressure canned. the pressure of water bath canning just isn’t high enough to sterilize the food b/c it’s so dense. And they say now that you can’t home can pumpkin even with a pressure cooker b/c the flesh is too dense. The thing that might worry me with this recipe is the oil that you saute in… I read something somewhere, some time about oil making things impossible to can safely b/c it can trap moisture and let botulism grow? Something like that. Anyway, I want to make a hot sauce this summer while everything’s in season, and I hope to use your soylent green as a jumping off point so I’m going to do more research into the matter. Worse comes to worse, I’ll saute the stuff in a dry non-stick pan for my own peace of mind. I was thinking of how cool it would be to make a truly “local” salsa like this – ferment your own vinegar, use your own honey and onions and garlic, etc. I have a lot of the stuff, but I don’t grow many very hot peppers and I’m not sure if DIY vinegar would be safe to use. The vinegar you buy at the store is standardized to 5%, and safe for canning, but obvs it would be hard to standardize your homemade vinegar. Still, it’s a cool idea. For like, when the apocalypse comes and I need hot sauce.

jess s

September 5, 2011 at 10:03 pm

• This is some next level stuff that you’re talking about here Jess! Making your own vinegar, you are so hardcore!

I can’t wait to hear how your soylent green batch turned out.

I want a pressure cooker, big time.

Patrice Helmar

September 27, 2011 at 7:42 pm

3. [...] peppers have been processed using our tried and true Soylent Green hot sauce recipe. We went through the last batch in record time, sent some to friends, and have 3 [...]

4. [...] still anxiously awaiting our first egg no loud noises have been reported from our rooster, yet homemade hot sauce is fermenting on the counter the kitchen is still full of tomatoes so many plans, so little time [...]